Insurance Information & Facilities Use Policies
Policies Effective 2019–20
The information below is provided to help community renters decide if a Mills Performing
Arts venue is the right fit for their event. Please note that all information, policies,
and terms stated below are subject to change at any time without notice. The insurance
information and facilities use policies and guidelines provided in the final, signed
Mills Performing Arts rental agreement supersede any information provided on this
All rental clients (“Licensee”) shall maintain commercial general liability or special
events insurance that provides coverage on claims made or occurrence basis and lists
the Licensee as the insured.
Said insurance should at minimum cover the period of the Reserved Start Time through
the Reserved End Time.
Licensee’s insurance shall be in an amount of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000)
per occurrence and three million ($3,000,000) in the aggregate covering bodily injury,
property damage, personal injury, products and completed operations, blanket contractual
liability, and liquor liability if alcoholic beverages are served.
Mills College, its trustees, officers, employees, volunteers, students, contractors,
and agents shall be named as additional insureds on an endorsement that specifies that (a) Licensee’s
insurance shall be primary insurance; (b) shall protect each Mills additional insured
as if a separate policy had been issued to each.
Licensee shall additionally maintain:
If Licensee will host minors on campus participating in rental activities, Licensee’s insurance certificate must
also include and state Sexual Abuse/Molestation Liability of one million dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence/five million dollars ($5,000,000) in the aggregate or, if an event-specific policy, one million dollars ($1,000,000) per occurrence;
- If a Licensee-owned automobile is operating on campus, Licensee shall maintain owned, hired and non-owned auto liability
insurance with combined single limits for bodily injury and property damage of not
less than $1,000,000 per accident;
- Workers’ Compensation: If the Licensee has employees or volunteers working on-site for the event, Licensee will maintain workers’ compensation insurance
at statutory limits and employers' liability insurance at limits of $1,000,000 bodily
injury by accident and $1,000,000 disease aggregate; and Licensee shall add a workers’
compensation endorsement waiving subrogation against the Mills additional insureds.
Except as to workers' compensation and employers’ liability coverages, Licensee’s
insurance shall be on a claims made, or occurrence, basis. Licensee shall provide
Mills with a certificate of such insurance including specified endorsements, to the
satisfaction of Mills, which must be submitted by Licensee to Mills no less than thirty
(30) days prior to the Reserved Start Time, unless otherwise agreed to by Mills and
stipulate that the insurer will give Mills 30 days written notice of cancellation
or non-renewal of coverage.
Facilities Use Policies & Guidelines
All rental clients (“Licensee”) and their Participants are required to adhere to all
Mills policies, regulations, and guidelines, and all local, state, and federal laws
concerning health, safety and public order. Failure to comply with these regulations
may result in forfeiture of the privilege of using the Facilities or termination of
this Agreement by Mills College.
Mills’ regulations include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Licensee shall not represent that the event is sponsored in any way by Mills College
and will not use the Mills College logo or any other visual representations of the
College to imply that this is a joint event. Use of the Mills logo or imagery from
the Mills College website is expressly prohibited.
- No photographing in indoor locations, unless written consent is provided by Mills.
- Food & Drink are permitted in some spaces (Lisser Hall Lobby & Terrace, Music Building
Lobby, Portico & Lawn) and is not allowed in others (Holland Theater, Digital Performance
Theater, Littlefield Concert Hall). All food must be approved.
- Preferred Vendor is Bon Appétit.
- Outside vendors are permitted. If Licensee is using a caterer or Food Vendor other
than Bon Appétit, no later than thirty (30) days before the Reserved Start Time, Licensee
shall provide Mills with: (i) the name, address, and contact person for the caterer,
(ii) a copy of the caterer’s current business license and (iii) evidence of commercial
general liability insurance in the name of the caterer, covering property damage and
injury to persons.
- All individuals will abide by California law, federal laws, and Mills regulations
regarding intoxicants, narcotics, and drugs.
- Events involving alcohol are at the discretion of Mills Performing Arts. The following
provisions apply to all events at which alcohol is served:
- No hard alcohol allowed; only beer, wine, and sparkling wine (champagne) may be served
- Liquor License is required, to be submitted to Mills College prior to day of event.
Mills College does not have a Liquor License. Liquor License may be provided by:
- the Licensee with a Daily License from the California Department of Alcohol Beverage
Control (CA ABC Daily Licenses);
- a contracted caterer.
- All servers must be insured and RBS or LEAD certified.
- Liquor Liability coverage must be provided and indicated on Certificate of Insurance.
- Nonalcoholic beverages (e.g. soda, juice, mineral water) must be provided in amounts
equal to the amount of alcoholic beverages.
- Food, including non-salty types, must be available in adequate amounts.
- All Participants should strongly be encouraged to drink responsibly.
- Firearms, weapons, ammunition, fireworks, explosives, and highly flammable materials
are not allowed.
- Candles and other open flame decor are prohibited in all buildings.
- Caterers may use sternos in the appropriate holders and placed on non-combustible
surfaces. Sternos must be disposed of properly.
- Sparklers are not permitted to be used on campus.
- Smoking and vaping are not permitted on campus.
- Only approved footwear is to be worn on all floor surfaces including wooden dance
floors, vinyl dance floors. Approved footwear: barefoot, ballet slippers, pointe shoes,
non-marking soled shoes. No shoes with white soles, marking soles are allowed.
- No properties or sets are allowed to be affixed to floor in any way (screws, nails,
- No properties, costumes or sets with sharp points or edges are allowed. (If it marks
the floor in any way, it is not allowed.)
- Floor is to be cleaned only with provided brooms, dry mops.
- No substances are allowed to be added to floor surfaces—rosin, coca-cola, etc.
- Animals, other than service animals, are prohibited on campus.
- Parking is included in the Licensee’s permitted use.
- There is no reserved parking on campus.
- Parking is not permitted in locations marked “Service Vehicle,” “No Parking,” “Fire
Lane,” “Residential Parking,”, “Reserved . . . ,” and blue or red zones.
- No climbing on trees, buildings, or sculptures.
- No disturbing of, or interfering with, campus events or activities.
- No overnight use is permitted.
- Performing Arts Facilities are open from 7:00 am to 12:00 am, daily.
- If Licensee has minors on campus as a part of any rental activities then a consistent
method shall be instituted for drop-off/pick-up that is appropriate for the age group.
- Hot plates or similar appliances are not permitted in rooms nor is any type of cooking
allowed in any rooms except designated kitchen areas.
- Remodeling or renovation of rooms or furniture, tampering with the electrical fixtures
in the rooms, placement of antennas for radios, televisions, etc., out of the windows,
moving, removal of or addition of furniture without prior approval from the Mills
College is not permitted.
- Attaching any object to any Mills property by nail, tack, screw, or tape, or alteration
of the premises in any manner whatsoever is not permitted without prior permission
of Mills College Performing Arts Facilities Director.
- Tampering with or removal of windows or window screens from any part of any building
is not permitted.
- Tampering with the fire system or firefighting equipment is not permitted.
- Removal of Mills College fliers, signs, or other postings from bulletin boards, walls,
or trees is strictly prohibited.
- Mills College is not responsible for loss or damage to personal or vendor owned property.
- Facility to be kept clean:
- Licensee at all times shall keep the Facility in a neat, clean, and orderly condition,
and shall prevent the accumulation of, and shall maintain the Facility and Property
free of any refuse or waste materials (remove all garbage and place in proper debris,
recycle and compost containers outside of the building).
- If Licensee fails to maintain the Facilities free of any refuse or waste materials,
Mills shall have the option to remove the same and charge Licensee therefor. Licensee
shall immediately reimburse Mills for the cost thereof upon receipt of a bill therefor.
($175.00 per hour).
- Licensee is responsible for the delivery and removal of equipment and supplies the
same day as the event unless prior arrangements have been made with Mills. Mills does
not provide any storage area for such equipment and supplies. If storage past event
time is needed, a storage fee will be charged.
Mills Performing Arts
5000 MacArthur Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94613